33 1/3 Percent as a Fraction

Date: 08/03/2003 at 12:50:41
From: Nerd
Subject: Percents

I need help turning percents like 33 1/3%, 2.5%, and other percents
like that into fractions. Can you help me?

Date: 08/03/2003 at 15:47:31
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Percents

Hi Nerd,

The thing to remember about a percentage is that it's just a fraction
with a denominator of 100.  That's all it is.

So 22% is exactly the same as 22/100.  This means that 33% is the same
as 33/100, and 33 1/3% is the same as

  33 1/3

Now, this is a pretty ugly fraction. It would be nicer-looking if we
multiplied the numerator and denominator by 3, which changes the
appearance without changing the value:

  33 1/3   3   100
  ------ * - = ---
    100    3   300

And this can be simplified to 1/3.

Now, what about 2.5%?  This is the same as

This would be nicer looking if we got rid of the decimal places, which
we can do by multiplying the numerator and denominator by powers of

   2.5   10    25
   --- * -- = ----
   100   10   1000

This, too, can be simplified.  I'll leave that to you.

But this is the basic idea: Put the percentage in the numerator, make
the denominator 100, and do what you have to do to get an integer in
the numerator. Then simplify.

Does this make sense?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum

Date: 08/03/2003 at 18:25:42
From: Nerd
Subject: Thank you (Percents)

Thank you so much for the help. You have helped me understand this
concept really well!
Associated Topics:
Elementary Fractions
Middle School Fractions