Triangular Numbers

Date: 08/23/2003 at 20:44:13
From: Cough
Subject: Triangle numbers

How do I show that the sum of any two consecutive triangular numbers
is always a square number?

I can't seem to show triangular numbers as an equation.

Date: 08/23/2003 at 23:37:24
From: Doctor Stephanie
Subject: Re: Triangle numbers

Hi there!

One thing that might make this problem a lot easier for you is to
remember the formula for triangular numbers. If you want to find the
"nth" triangular number, the formula you would use would be:

                 -------- = Nth triangular number

Now try to use the formula to find the "Nth" triangular number and the
"N+1st" triangular number. Then try adding the two consecutive
triangular numbers together and simplify, and I think you will find
what you are looking for.

If you need me to continue on the problem a little bit further, or
if you need more explanation, feel free to email me back!

- Doctor Stephanie, The Math Forum
Associated Topics:
High School Number Theory