Fraction Riddle

Date: 09/05/2003 at 10:23:14
From: Joyce (helping my son Kevin who is 10)
Subject: fraction puzzle

How can 1/2 of 9 be 4?  1/2 of 9 is 4.5 which isn't 4.

Date: 09/05/2003 at 10:58:26
From: Doctor Douglas
Subject: Re: fraction puzzle

Hi Joyce,

Thanks for writing to the Math Forum.

This is a trick question.  Try using Roman numerals
and a liberal definition of "half".

If you're still having trouble, please write back!

- Doctor Douglas, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 09/05/2003 at 13:15:40
From: Joyce
Subject: Thank you (fraction puzzle)

Thank you for the hint.  We figured it out!
Associated Topics:
Elementary Math History/Biography
Elementary Puzzles