Diagramming Days

Date: 08/28/2003 at 19:52:54
From: Dori
Subject: problem solving

What day of the week was yesterday if 5 days before the day after
tomorrow was Wednesday?

Date: 08/30/2003 at 16:40:13
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: problem solving

Hi Dori,

It's very hard to solve something like this without a diagram.  Here's
the diagram I would draw:

 +----------+----------+---------+-----+--------+---------+
 |Day before|Day before|Yesterday|Today|Tomorrow|Day after|
 |day before|yesterday |         |     |        |tomorrow |
 |yesterday |          |         |     |        |         |
      ^

      |________ 5 days before the day after tomorrow

Does this help?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum