Names of Polynomials with More Than Three Terms

Date: 03/25/2004 at 21:44:10
From: Beth
Subject: Names of Polynomials with more than 3 terms

What are the official, mathematical names for polynomials with more
than three terms?  For example, a polynomial with one term is a
monomial, with two terms is a binomial, and with three terms is a
trinomial.  What is a polynomial with more than three terms called?

Date: 03/25/2004 at 22:40:52
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Names of Polynomials with more than 3 terms

Hi, Beth.

A polynomial of four terms is sometimes called a quadrinomial, but
there's really no need for such words.  That's because the number of
terms in a polynomial is not important.  There are special techniques
for factoring quadratic trinomials, which is why that term is used;
sometimes a quadrinomial is worth mentioning for the same reason, but
beyond that, a polynomial is just a polynomial, and the degree is more
important than how many terms happen to be non-zero.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 03/26/2004 at 15:39:22
From: Beth
Subject: Thank you (Names of Polynomials with more than 3 terms)

Thank you very much for responding to my question so quickly.  It was
helpful.  Thanks, Beth
Associated Topics:
High School Definitions
High School Polynomials