How Do I Learn Basic Math as an Adult?

Date: 08/02/2004 at 12:40:18
From: Valerie
Subject: Psychology Stats

I am a counselor, and I would like to take a course on Statistics in
Psychology, but I have not studied math for over 20 years.  Math was
also never a strong subject for me.  I need to take an entry test to
get into the stats course, so I'm wondering what the best way to brush
up on my math skills is?  I'd also like to get over my dislike of
math.  What do you recommend?

Date: 08/04/2004 at 23:22:29
From: Doctor Mitteldorf
Subject: Re: Psychology Stats

Dear Valerie,

You've asked an interesting question.  Here's my advice:

First, recognize that there are no shortcuts.  If you want to learn 5
years of middle school and high school math, it's unreasonable to
expect yourself to do it in one year.  With intense study you might do
it in 3, but it is more realistic to think of it as a long-term
project for a full 5 years.

Second, get out some books that make the stuff interesting.  Don't try
to pore through your old 8th grade math text.  I remember the first
math book I read, by Isaac Asimov, called "Realm of Numbers".  It came
from a "gee whiz" attitude.  Isaac Asimov was a person of wide-ranging
curiosity who constantly asked questions and found relationships, and
was interested in whatever it was he was learning, from biochemistry
to Gilbert and Sullivan.  That was 40 years ago, but there are other,
more recent books that make math fun.  Try "Number Devil" by Hans
Magnus et al.  There are other books as well, probably directed at
kids, but don't be proud.

Third, solve problems.  Find them in the books, think them up
yourself, create them from the world around you.  Work on them in your
spare time.  Dream about them and wake up writing down numbers and
equations.  Go for long walks where you puzzle out loud how to solve a
problem that has stumped you.  The time you spend trying out solutions
that turn out to be dead ends is not time wasted.  In fact, that's
where all your real learning is going to take place.  No one ever
learned math from reading a book, or from watching someone else do it.
The book is there just for inspiration, for posing problems.  You have
to do the work yourself, and put in the time exploring your ideas
wherever they lead, to their logical conclusion.

- Doctor Mitteldorf, The Math Forum
High School About Math
Middle School About Math