Test Average Word Problem

Date: 02/20/2004 at 10:22:51
From: Rich
Subject: Difficult Word Problem

In a certain class there are more than 20 and fewer than 40 students.
On a recent test the average passing mark was 75.  The average failing
mark was 48 and the class average was 66.  The teacher then raised
every grade 5 points.  As a result the average passing mark became
77.5 and the average failing mark became 45.  If 65 is the established
minimum for passing, how many students had their grades changed from
failing to passing?

Date: 02/20/2004 at 11:22:59
From: Doctor Greenie
Subject: Re: Difficult Word Problem

Hi, Rich --

Thanks for sending the interesting problem.  It was unlike any I had
seen before; and in solving it I got to use one of my favorite
mathematical "tricks".

Here's what we have....

Before changing the grades:

  average passing grade:  75
  class average:          66
  average failing grade:  48

After changing the grades:

  average passing grade:  77.5
  class average:          71
  average failing grade:  45

All of these numbers were given specifically in the problem except
for the class average after the grades were raised; because every
grade was raised by 5 points, the class average was raised by 5
points.

What we do with these numbers is determine the ratio of passing
grades to failing grades before and after.  To do this, we use my pet
technique for solving "mixture" problems.

For the case before the grades were raised, the average passing grade
is 9 points above the class average, and the average failing grade is
18 points below the class average.  So what we have is a "mixture"
problem, where a certain number of students with average grades 18
points below average and another number of students with average
grades 9 points above average combine to produce that average.

With the average for one group twice as far from the overall average
as the average for the other group, the ratio of students in the two
groups must be 2:1.  And since the overall average is closer to the
average of the students who passed, the larger group of students is
the group who passed.  So now we know that we have "2x" students
who passed and "x" students who failed.  This means the total number
of students in the class is 3x, so the total number of students is
divisible by 3.

For the case after the grades have been raised, we perform the same
analysis.  The passing average and failing average are, respectively,
6.5 points above and 26 points below the overall average.  These two
numbers are in the ratio 1:4; this means that now the ratio of
students who passed to students who failed is 4:1; and this means the
number of students in the class is divisible by 5.

So now we know that the number of students in the class is divisible
by both 3 and 5, and has to be between 20 and 40.  Can you determine
how many students there are from that information?

Once you know the total number of students, can you use the pass:fail
ratios to determine how many students passed and failed with each of
the two scorings?  That will let you answer the actual question posed
in the problem.

I hope this helps.  Please write back if you have any further
questions about any of this.

- Doctor Greenie, The Math Forum
Middle School Word Problems