The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Name of Bar That Denotes a Repeating Decimal

Date: 08/30/2004 at 00:32:09
From: Stephen
Subject: Mathematical symbol name

What is the name of the bar that goes over a digit or group of digits 
that signifies that the digit or group repeats?

Date: 08/30/2004 at 06:19:51
From: Doctor Luis
Subject: Re: Mathematical symbol name

Hi Stephen,

Good question!  The bar is called a "vinculum", which is Latin for
"bind".  You can read more at the following web pages: 

Let us know if you have any more questions.

- Doctor Luis, The Math Forum 
Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions
Elementary Fractions
High School Definitions
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Fractions

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.