Writing Hours and Minutes in Decimal Form

Date: 11/05/2004 at 16:24:44
From: Shendora
Subject: converting hours and minutes into fractions of an hour

Below is the timesheet for me.  Hours may be entered in hundredths,
using a decimal point.  Examples:

  6 hours = 6.0 or 6
  6 hours, 15 minutes = 6.25
  6 hours, 30 minutes = 6.5
  6 hours, 52 minutes = 6.87

I don't know what the formula is to calculate let's say 6 hours and 7
minutes.  I tried to divide the hours up into minutes divided by the
equivalent answer.

Date: 11/07/2004 at 00:20:10
From: Doctor Ian

Hi Shendora,

Let's look at the ones you know again:

>6 hours = 6.0 or 6
>6 hours, 15 minutes = 6.25   = 6 1/4 = 6 15/60
>6 hours, 30 minutes = 6.5    = 6 1/2 = 6 30/60
>6 hours, 52 minutes = 6.87           = 6 52/60

That is, a minute is just 1/60 of an hour.  So 6 hours and 7 minutes is

  6 7/60

hours.  To convert to a decimal, divide the numerator by the denominator:

             _
       0.1 1 6
     ___________
  60 ) 7.0 0 0 0
       6 0
       ---
       1 0 0
         6 0
       -----
         4 0 0
         3 6 0
         -----
           4 0 0

Does this make sense?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 11/08/2004 at 09:35:43
From: Shendora
Subject: Thank you (converting hours and minutes into fractions of an
hour)

Thank you sooo much!!!!

I was going about it all wrong.  I had the concept right but somehow
or another it got all twisted.  You made it look totally easy!
Associated Topics:
Middle School Calendars/Dates/Time