Cases Where the Newton-Raphson Method Fails

Date: 06/30/2005 at 12:25:31
From: Ola
Subject: what are the problems with the Newton Raphson method

The Newton Raphson method works with certain equations, like
f(x) = x^5 - 5x + 3, where a tangent is drawn and it is to find the
root of the line between the interval.  But it doesn't work on an
equation like y = ln(x+1) + 1.  When this graph is plotted it does not
work, it shows overflow on the Newton Raphson iteration.

I find it difficult with the tangent where it converges sometimes and
diverges if the initial value is not close to the root, or is near a
turning point of y = f(x).

Date: 07/01/2005 at 06:58:38
From: Doctor George

Hi Ola,

Thanks for writing to Doctor Math.

There are different ways in which Newton-Raphson can fail.  You
already know that Newton-Raphson can fail because of turning points.
It can also fail because of asymptotes.

In your case I suspect the failure is because your initial estimate is
too high compared to the actual solution.  This causes your next
iteration to evaluate ln(x) at a negative value.  ln(x) has an
asymptote at zero and is not defined for negative values.

Try a lower initial estimate.

Does that make sense?  Write again if you need more help.

- Doctor George, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 07/04/2005 at 11:02:37
From: Ola

Thank you very much.  It is nice to know that there are people who are
willing to help teenagers like myself in mathematics apart from my
teacher.
Associated Topics:
College Calculus
High School Calculus