Are Math Symbols Universal?

Date: 05/22/2004 at 08:14:21
From: Nora
Subject: Russian math

I am trying to see if my new student from Russia knows math facts
(addition, subtraction, etc.).  Do you know if Russians use the same
symbols we use in the USA like +  -  =  *  /?

I will appreciate if you can help me with this question!  Thank you!

Date: 05/24/2004 at 12:42:58
From: Doctor Jordan
Subject: Re: Russian math

Hi Nora,

I'm not too sure about how math is taught in elementary and secondary
schools in Russia, but I think that Russian university math uses the
symbols we are used to in North America and Europe, so I would assume
the lower schools do as well.

For example, here is a link to a Russian math article "On the
diophantine equation (x/y)u + (y/z)v + (z/x)w = 4t" in English:

    http://mech.math.msu.su/~fpm/eng/k01/k011/k01115h.htm

and here is a link to the Russian language version:

    http://mech.math.msu.su/~fpm/rus/99/992/99213h.htm

If you have a postscript viewer, available at

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

you can read the Russian article text.  You'll find that it uses usual
symbols like addition, division, sigma for sum, etc.  So you probably
can use the symbols you are used to when you're doing math with
someone from Russia.

Does this answer your question?  If you have any problems, or want
something else answered, please write me back.

- Doctor Jordan, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 05/25/2004 at 16:15:11
From: Nora