Wolves and Pens Puzzle

Date: 08/30/2005 at 23:11:30
From: Dominic
Subject: wolves in a square enclosure

Nine wolves are in a square enclosure. Build two more square
enclosures and put each wolf in a pen by itself.

I can not figure out a logical way to put each wolf in a pen by
itself.  I tried drawing three enclosures, but there are still a
greater number of wolves than pens.  Can you help?

Date: 08/31/2005 at 01:28:43
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: wolves in a square enclosure

Hi Dominic,

Let me get you started.  Here are two square pens,

  A-------.-------B
  |     .   .     |
  |   .       .   |
  | .           . |

which create 5 areas, each of which could hold one wolf.

Can you take it from here?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum
Elementary Puzzles
Middle School Puzzles