Factoring a Sum of Squares

Date: 10/15/2005 at 17:59:18
From: talin
Subject: sum of squares vs. factoring perfect square trinomials

I do not understand why you cannot factor a sum of two squares, but
you can factor a perfect square trinomial.

The perfect square trinomial can be factored like this:

(a+b)square = (a squared - ab + b squared)

(a+b)squared is a sum of squares which can't be factored

Date: 10/15/2005 at 23:11:45
From: Doctor Peterson

Hi, Talin.

Let's correct what you wrote:

  a^2 + 2ab + b^2 (a trinomial) factors as (a + b)^2

  a^2 - b^2 (a difference of squares) factors as (a + b)(a - b)

  a^2 + b^2 (a sum of squares) can't be factored

Now, that last fact isn't really quite true!  Properly, we should say
"it can't be factored _over the real numbers_".  If you allowed
complex numbers, you could write

  a^2 + b^2 = (a + bi)(a - bi)

If you know about imaginary numbers, try expanding the right side and
see what I mean!

One way to see why this happens is to consider one of the reasons we
factor, to solve a polynomial equation.  Take the equation

  x^2 - 1 = 0

To solve it, we can factor and then set each factor equal to 0:

  (x + 1)(x - 1) = 0

  x + 1 = 0, or x - 1 = 0

  x = -1, or x = 1

So each factor corresponds to a solution of the equation.

Now look at this equation:

  x^2 + 1 = 0

If we could factor this sum of squares (over the reals!), we would
have a real solution of the equation.  But here are the solutions:

  x^2 = -1

  x = +- sqrt(-1)

  x = i, or x = -i

Those aren't real numbers; so we'd better not be able to factor it!

In general, we can just say that x^2 + b^2 is positive for all x, so
x^2 + b^2 = 0 can't have any real solutions; that means it can't be
factored with real coefficients.

Does that help make it clear why some polynomials can't be factored,
and this kind in particular?

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
High School Basic Algebra
Middle School Algebra