The Difference between Calculating Markup and Profit Margin

Date: 08/11/2006 at 19:01:33
From: Jerry
Subject: How does inverse calculations work with percentage markups

I have a question about how to calculate profit margin.  We have been
calculating this as fixed costs multiplied by whatever the margin
percentage is.  For example, with costs of $50,000 and a desired
margin of 25% we do $50,000 x 1.25 = $62,500, so we would sell the
product for $62,500.

But I am told that the correct way to calculate this is to take the
fixed costs and divide by the desired margin percentage subtracted
from 100%.  So that would be $50,000 / .75 = $66,667.  I am having
some trouble understanding how this works.  Can you explain this is
simple layman's terms?

Thank you for your help.

Jerry

Date: 08/11/2006 at 22:42:49
From: Doctor Peterson

Hi, Jerry.

You have no idea how common this question is!  You can find some
discussions of this sort of question here (look near the bottom):

  Percentage Increase/Decrease

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/sets/select/dm_percent_increase.html

Here's my version:

Profit margin means "what percentage OF THE PRICE is profit?"  That is
different from "what percentage OF COST is the profit?"--that's the
"markup".  When we mark up, we add some percentage of what it costs
us.  Margin is seen from the customer's perspective: how much of what
I'm paying is going into their pockets?

So you want to increase your fixed cost of $50,000 by some amount that
will be 25% of the amount you'll be charging--which you don't know
yet!  You can't just add on 25% of the fixed cost, because that's the
right percentage of the wrong thing.  (You're actually calculating a
25% markup rather than a 25% margin.)

So what can we do?  Well, we think backward.  Suppose we knew the
price we're going to charge; I'll call it X.  Then the margin would be
25% of that, or 0.25 times X.  The cost would be that much less than X:

  cost = X - 0.25X

But 1 times X, minus 0.25 times X, is 0.75 times X.  That is, 100% -
25% is 75%.  So

  cost = 0.75X

But now we can find X, because we know the cost is $50,000!

  50,000 = 0.75X

  X = 50,000 / 0.75

That is, we undo the multiplication by 0.75, by dividing 50,000 by
0.75. So

  X = $66,666.67

Note that this is more than what you were calculating, because you
were adding 25% of a smaller number--here we're adding 25% of $66,667
rather than only 25% of $50,000.  By charging only $62,500, you had a
25% markup but only a 20% margin (12,500/62,500).

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
Middle School Fractions
Middle School Ratio and Proportion