The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Classification of Angles by Size

Date: 09/30/2008 at 07:54:22
From: Dierra
Subject: Angle greater than 180

What do you call an angle greater than 180 degrees?

Date: 09/30/2008 at 10:41:02
From: Doctor Ali
Subject: Re: Angle greater than 180

Hi Dierra!

Thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

Angles more than 180 degrees and less than 360 degrees are called
reflex angles.

By the way, you may also be interested to know:

  Angles less than 90 degrees are called acute angles.

  An angle that is exactly 90 degrees is called a right angle.

  Angles greater than 90 degrees and less than 180 degrees are 
  called obtuse angles.

  An angle that is exactly 180 degrees is called a straight angle.

You might want to read an article from our archives that talks about
how to remember which name goes with which type of angle:

  Angles: Acute, Right, Obtuse, Reflex 

Does that help?

- Doctor Ali, The Math Forum 
Associated Topics:
Middle School Two-Dimensional Geometry

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.