Learning the Times Tables

Date: 10/12/2008 at 05:19:43
From: Astha
Subject: I dont have interest in math, why?

I am not able to learn the time tables.

Date: 10/13/2008 at 13:11:48
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: I dont have interest in math, why?

Hi Astha,

Here's something interesting about memory:  It works through
repetition, whether you want it to or not.  For example, I'll bet
there are commercials that come on television where you know all the
words that the actors are going to say, even though you have no
interest at all in the product.  Right?  Your brain just seems to work
that way--the more you hear something, the easier it is for your
brain to recognize and retrieve it.

And that's the key to memorizing your times tables:  Repetition.  If
you were to write out all the facts on some index cards and just say
them to yourself several times each day, within a week you'd find that
most of the answers just pop out as soon as you see the questions...
and the rest would follow shortly.

Would you like to give that a try, and let me know how it goes?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 10/25/2008 at 04:48:25
From: Astha
Subject: Thank you (I dont have interest in math, why?)

Thank you sir. you are really great, your small tip helped me alot.
and i will tell this to my class mates too.

sciencerlly yours,
Astha.
Associated Topics:
Elementary Multiplication