Browse and Search the Library
: Math Topics
: Computer Science
: Computer Systems
Library Home ||
Full Table of Contents ||
- 9 items
found, showing 1 to 9
- Human-Computer Interaction Group (HCI) - University of York (UK)
A group founded in 1984 to pursue research into the design and evaluation of interactive systems. Its interdisciplinary approach integrates rigorous formal methods from the latest software engineering research with theories of perception, learning, and
- Image Coding Using Fractals - Signal and Image Processing Group, University of Bath
Graphs show how image compression using fractals compares to other methods. Also includes comparison pictures and a list of articles on fractal compression, some of which may be downloaded in gzipped PostScript format.
- Information Mechanics Group - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
A research group for the physics of computation. Resources for CAM-8, a computer and operating system designed for work with cellular automata, and various papers, which are available for download in PostScript format .
- Machines That Eat Your Words (MegaMath) - Nancy Casey; Los Alamos National Laboratory
An introduction to the concept of finite state machines, and how they are used to design computer systems that will recognize patterns. A finite state machine is an imaginary (or abstract) machine that is used to study and design systems that recognize
- Pentium Bug Revisited - Ivars Peterson (MathLand)
The incident that triggered a barrage of ridicule occurred in the fall of 1994, a few months after Intel had introduced its Pentium microprocessor. The furor started with an e-mail message from Thomas R. Nicely, a mathematician at Lynchburg College in
- Return of the Mathematical Tourist - Ivars Peterson (MathTrek)
In the newly published, updated edition of The Mathematical Tourist, Peterson writes, "...computers have become commonplace tools used by nearly all mathematicians, not only to communicate with each other but also to explore mathematical questions...
- Scientific Applications of Linux - Herng-Jeng Jou and Kachina Technologies, Inc.
SAL (Scientific Applications on Linux) is a collection of information and links to software for scientists and engineers. Math categories include computer algebra systems, array-oriented and linear algebra systems, statistics, and number theory. Numerical
- This is MegaMathematics! (MegaMath) - Nancy Casey; Los Alamos National Laboratory
The frontier of mathematics is an exciting place, where mathematicians experiment and play with creative and imaginative ideas, many of them accessible to young children; others (infinity is a good example) whose profound mathematical importance is not
- Who's Really No. 1? - Ivars Peterson (MathTrek)
It happens every fall. Fierce arguments erupt over which U.S. college football team is the best in the nation. As the season progresses, this frenzy of head scratching and navel gazing mounts until the climactic bowl games at the end of the year (more
The Math Library ||
Quick Reference ||
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.