From Math Images
Smaurer1 18:22, 31 May 2013 (EDT) The link at the bottom to another discussion of matrices seems to be a dead link now. If others agree, take it out.
Cwang3 15:39, 5 June 2013 (EDT)
About the comment above: I agree that the link at the bottom does not work and should be taken out.
I think now the layout of the page is pretty clear, and here's some feedback for Jason's parts:
1. Proof that Matrix Multiplication is Associative: I think the proof might look nicer if "WTS" is not in math environment. You can try different ways and see which one works best. Also, the equations after lines "By Definition" and "By Associativity" can be moved to a newline.
2. Proof that Matrix Multiplication over Addition is Distributive: (I just realized that this is Lucy's part, but I'll leave the comments here anyway)
WTS and proof part, it's supposed to be A(B+C), not A+B+C.
It's clearer if you leave more space between the equation and the short explanations ("By definition", "By addition", etc.).
Be consistent with whether you capitalize the letters in your equation. Sometimes you use Aij, sometimes ai,j
3. Matrix Transposition: Maybe make a simple graph to illustrate how transpose is done? For example, use arrows to show which entry goes to where, or an animation showing the move of the columns.
Cwang3 10:39, 12 June 2013 (EDT)
1. Section "Size", are you sure the size is column by row? I think it should be row by column. (m × n matrix has m rows and n columns)
2. Proof of Matrix Multiplication is Associative: "communicative" should be "commutative"
The major change I just made to this page was in accordance to the document I received from Steve Cunningham, and the content was written by him. I did the formatting of the page. If someone wants/needs to restore this page to the way it was before I made this change, it was all done in my only edit to this page today (so it can easily be undone).
- Nordhr 17:43 12 July 2011
- Nordhr 17:43 12 July 2011
Is this just a helper page?
- Yep, it's just matrix algebra.
- This is a bit unrelated to my page, but I noticed that on the checklist page there is a short list of pages that are an example of "this is just a helper page, not an image page" and someone turned one of those pages (complex numbers) into an image page. I thought maybe it should be taken out of that list.
Message to the future
- I don't have any further ideas for this page. I think it thoroughly describes basic matrix math.
References and footnotes
- There are no images on this page to site.
- There are no direct quotes.
- Steve Cunningham wrote this page from his knowledge, which is written at the end of the page.
Quality of Prose and page structuring
- The beginning paragraphs explain what a matrix is, then the page goes on to say more about them and what can be done with them.
- It is on the checklist, but the subsections aren't split into helper pages because this is a helper page.
Integration of Images and Text
- The readers are referred specifically to the animation.
- The text points out why the animation is there.
Examples, Calculations, Applications, Proofs
- Numerical examples are provided for each new matrix concept.
Mathematical Accuracy and precision of language
- I and others have proofread this page and not found any further errors.
- Paragraphs are kept short with matrices throughout.
- There is some whitespace around the matrices, but I believe that this is the best way to format them (I have tried a couple of ways).
- The animation and the matrices are fully contained in the correct sections.
- The page looks good at most sizes. At extremely thin sizes, some equations stick off of the side a bit, but I don't think that there is any feasible way to avoid that.