Subject:   Solving upstream-downstream problem
Author: Veronika Szinai
Date: Nov 17 2003
Let b=the rate of the of the boat in still water,and m=the rate of the Missisipi
river.
The boat travels upstream against the river by the rate of b-m,
downstream with the river by the rate of b+m.
We are going to use the distance formula to set up an equation system for the
two variables b and m.
The boat travels 48 miles both direction.

d=rt
48=(d+m)4
48=(d-m)3
Use the distribute property for both equations.
Eliminate the variable d, because the qustion is the rate of the Missisipi
River.
If you have any more questins , let me know.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra II for Solving systems of equations discussion

Discussion Help