Subject:   RE: Lorentzian series for Curve Fitting
Author: Si
Date: Nov 23 2005
On Nov 23 2005, OptimalDesigns wrote:
> For real-world data curve fitting using a Lorentzian [ 1/ ( 1 + x^2
> )] series is a good bet. Why isn't this Lorentzian model taught in
> school?

Other math models for curve fitting include Sine, Damped
> Sine, Exponential and Power series.  The Sine (fourier) series is
> taught but no software demos for hands-on experience and
> understanding.  Suggest adding some sinusoidal curve fitting demos
> to classes.

Learn real-world curve fitting with the use of
> CurvFit software at http://digitalCalculus.com/page/593042

Anyone
> publishing a textbook with some info on curve fitting?  If so,
> please contact me for some practical example problems.

Phil

I find your quote "Why isn't this Lorentzian model taught in
school?" look a bit overkill for high school level. These kind of advanced
mathematics are left to the appropriate level in Maths curriculum, such as a
beginning course in algebra and calculus at tertiary institutions (university or
polytechnical insttitutes). You cannot teach every and any math topic at high
school level. Are you suggesting that adavanced topic as  spline and wavelet
curve-fitting be also taught at high school ?  NO, they should'nt be, because
they are advance topic and should be left to university level to teach them as
they require high level understanding of algebra. The only fitting I am aware
that is used at high school level is the polynomial order 1 (and perhaps order
2) which is the linear and quadratic regression for senior high school math &
stats level. It would be OK for students to play with software that does
"Lorentzian model fitting" , however it is beyond comprehension for them to try
to understand the maths behind it. It is more like these days that kids love
computer games, without understanding the calculus, geometry and algebra methods
which those softwares were developed with. That is fine, but it is not a
requirement for kids to know computer graphics maths prior to buying a copy of
the software. Same thing for Lorentzian model fitting, kids can play with such
software but it will be outside the curriculum to try and get them to understand
the maths behind it.

Cheers,
Sione.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra II for Curve of Best Fit discussion

Discussion Help