Subject:   Interesting, potentially useful
Author: mmckelve
Date: Mar 10 2004
Tool Page:
http://matti.usu.edu/nlvm/nav/frames_asid_189_g_4_t_2.html

This tool seems like it could be very useful for teaching multiplication.  You
get a very real sense of the relationship between x and y and a couple of
multiplicative operations (squaring and multiplying, specifically) displayed on
a graph.  I like how they provide the 1x1 block and the 5x1 block to help you
visualize with concrete numbers, instead of limiting you to the abstract symbols
"x" and "y."  A useful extension would be to allow blocks of arbitrary
(user-entered) width & height, but that's not really necessary; the 2 that
they provide are sufficient.  Overall, this tool took a minute for me to warm up
to, because I didn't really grasp what the heck I was supposed to be doing with
it, but I eventually figured it out and enjoyed playing with it.

     --Michael--

-----
Posted for George Reese's C&I 336 Class, Spring 2004
http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/courses/ci336sp04

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All in Algebra II for Factoring discussion
Visit related discussions:
Algebra Tiles tool
Algebra II
Factoring