Subject:   Hard to figure out...
Author: Michael McKelvey
Date: Feb 25 2004
Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Tool:
http://www.ies.co.jp/math/java/calc/perime/perime.html

This little applet seems like it has so much potential, yet it suffers from
withholding too much information from the user.  It is easy enough to use... you
keep hitting the "Next" button to cycle it through the steps in coming up with
delta(S) / delta(x).  However, it just *does* each step, with no explanation as
to why it's doing it.  If a student is trying to learn the reasons behind the
math involved here, they are going to have a difficult time of it.  I would
recommend putting in a concise explanation--maybe just a sentence or two--
describing the rationale behind each step.  Other than that, I like the applet.
It looks nice and would be a great tool for a teacher trying to show the
Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to calc students.

     --Michael--

-----
Posted for George Reese's C&I 336 class at the University of
Illinois
http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/courses/ci336sp04

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All in Calculus for Fundamental Thrm. of Calculus discussion
Visit related discussions:
The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus tool
Calculus
Fundamental Thrm. of Calculus

Discussion Help