Subject:   RE: How to disconnect a piecewise graph
Author: stek
Date: Mar 5 2007
> I think graphing the piecewise
> functions on the TIs is a great visual that I can add to my
> instruction next year.  Are there any other tools or advice when
> teacing piecewise functions?

If you want to graph a piecewise function with Sketchpad, there are several
resources available.

For a piecewise function consisting of two functions with a boundary, the
Advanced_Tools.gsp sketch from the Sketchpad Advanced Sketch Gallery  contains a
tool that's pretty easy to use. Here's the URL:

For more than two functions, Paul Kunkel has put together tools for piecewise
functions of 2, 3, 4, or 5 pieces. Write me off-list if you'd like a copy of
these. I don't believe Paul has posted these on his site, so I will email him
suggesting that he do so. (His site is )

Jim Wilson from the University of Georgia has a Piecewise Linear Function
activity available online, at:

Finally, if you want to create your own piecewise functions without using such
specialized tools, you will find useful the Boolean tools on the Advanced Sketch
Gallery: )

The Boolean tools are useful in creating expressions such as this:

if (x >= x1) and (x < x2) then use f(x)
if (x >= x2) and (x < x3) then use g(x)

To actually do this in Sketchpad, you first use the Boolean tools to create the
two Boolean expressions:

(x >= x1) AND (x < x2)
(x >= x2) AND (x < x3)

These expressions evaluate to 1 if true, or to 0 if false. You then graph a new
function h(x) based on f(x) and g(x):

h(x) = f(x) * ((x >= x1) AND (x < x2)) + g(x) * ((x >= x2) AND (x <

Scott Steketee
Sketchpad Projects

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools in PreCalculus on TI Calculator discussion
Visit related discussions:
Texas Instruments

Discussion Help