Subject:   Sketchpad Scatterplot with LSRL and Residual Plot
Author: NateB
Date: Jan 23 2008
I realize that I am adding to this string a few years after it was started, so I
don't know if anyone still cares...

I have made a Sketchpad file that shows a scatterplot with seven movable points.
The points can be moved around manually or sent to predetermined patterns to
study the effects on a dynamically placed LSRL.  The value of correlation is
also visible.  Residual plots are used, and can show that even if data has a
high correlation, it may not be best modeled by a line.  One page of the sketch
focuses on transforming the data to find an exponential or power function to use
as a model.  All of this is done without coordinates in a responsive and visual
setting.

The file (and others) can be found at:

http://nateburchell.googlepages.com/index.html

I tried to submit it as a tool here, but I'm not sure if it worked, as I am very
new to the Math Forum.

Thanks,
Nate

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All in Probability & Statistics discussion
Visit related discussions:
Scatterplot tool
Probability & Statistics

Discussion Help