Subject:   Thanks for finding a bug
Author: Joel Duffin
Date: Feb 12 2004
Thanks, Cynthia, Julee, and Michael!

I am a developer who has inherited the code for the Circle applet. I went and
looked and indeed, as Michael observed, the code contains a bug that is observed
as any sum over 18 being judged to be a completed circle. I've made a fix and
will post it in the next couple of days. I will post a message again when it is
available.

Thanks much!

On Feb 11, 2004, Michael McKelvey wrote:

Cynthia & Julee,

   I just spent a while playing with the applet, and it appears to me that the
developers made an oversight when creating this applet.  Instead of checking
whether the three numbers in a circle sum to 3, it checks whether the three
numbers sum to *at least* 3.  There is a very big difference here.  Try putting
3 numbers in a circle which sum to > 3, and you'll see that the circle gets
highlighted.  I tried combinations on Julee's specific puzzle, and by my logic
saw no other possible solutions besides the one she gave, so it appears that the
0.8 is indeed a mistake.  I feel fairly confident in saying that there's not
some other solution which uses all of the pieces correctly--the applet
creator(s) just made a mistake.

     --Michael--

yes  no
Post a new topic to the tool: Circle 3 discussion
Visit related discussions:
Circle 3 tool

Discussion Help