Subject:   Suggested modifications
Author: Joel Duffin
Date: Feb 17 2004
Thanks for your valuable feedback on this mathlet.

On Feb 14, 2004, Julee wrote:

> I have used an activity with Towers of Hanoi with my
> gemoetry classes when we are studying patterns.
> I have done it using the fisher price ring toy for
> little kids.

This sounds like a great way to do it.

> I am sorry to see the different color rings
> eliminated in the virtual version.  My experience
> was that many students were better able to follow
> the action be keeping track of what certain colors
> do and how they behave.

Would you want it the same as with the kids toy? (A different color for every
size ring?)

> I noticed that the suggested materials for this
> applet focus only on the lowest number of moves
> for a certain number of rings.  Of course it can be
> just as valuable to encourage students to write
> about the pattern used to actually move the rings.

I agree.

> This is much easier to note when the rings are
> different colors.

This makes me wonder if there wouldn't also be some way to create a visual
record of the steps taken so that patterns could be observed.

> I was sorry that an undo button is not part of the
> program.  For students to really be able to
> investigate to find the best pattern to move the
> rings, we don't really want them to have to start
> over each time.

I will look at adding an undo button in the near future.

> Also, I noticed that the applet tells the user when
> the lowest possible number of moves have been
> achieved.  The earlier applet versions seem to just
> let the student continue forever with not
> indication of whether they have achieved the task
> so the message of completion is encouraging.

> However, I would rather have a separate button to
> find out if it is the optimal number.  This way the
> students can use the tool to explore and come up
> with conjectures as to why they believe their
> pattern is optimal.  As it is programmed, they
> automatically find out if their solution is best,
> missing out on an additional learning opportunity.

Hmmmm... I think I understand, and am starting to agree. I had thought it would
be a hastle to have to take an extra step to see if your solution is optimal,
but I do see, how automatically displaying that information might decrease the
motivation to try to argue to support my solution.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the tool: Towers of Hanoi discussion
Visit related discussions:
Towers of Hanoi tool
Discrete Math

Discussion Help