Subject:   RE: Expressions vs Equations
Author: Ed Bujak
Date: Jan 27 2011
to [1] from LFS:
That's why I write DOWN the page all the time (and the kids tell me I am wasting
papaer!)
3(x+2)-4x+5=3x+6-4x+5=-x+11
is explained as:
3(x+2)-4x+5
3x+6-4x+5
-x+11
and I try to line up the subsequent terms simplified from the terms above.

I try to explain to the kids that expressions do not have an equal sign, so do
not introduce it.
I try ot explain that equations (or inequalities) do have an equal sign (or
inquality sign) so preserve and line up (above/boelow) all the equal signs.

Nomenclature is extremely important for precise meaning and interpretation ...
we should always use it properly.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the tool: Algebra - Writing Expressions discussion
Visit related discussions:
Algebra - Writing Expressions tool

Discussion Help