Subject:   RE: MS Word division symbol
Author: Patti
Date: Mar 4 2004
Hi,
I don't know if you use a Mac or PC, but on a Mac, the  keystrokes I've listed
below work for quite a few math symbols such as the sign. The shortcuts work
for most fonts I believe. These are most/all/some of the shortcuts that show up
in the symbols window that Dan mentioned. I usually use Times New Roman in my
docs and I know that works well.  Just mess around using different keystroke
combinations and I think you might be surprised what's already "built into" any
program (I think) without extra software.

Hope this helps,

Patti Guthrie
Chula Vista, CA

Mac computers:

Option + p = <pi>
Option + / =
Option + > = >=
Option + < = <=
Option + 4 =
Option + 5 = ?
Option + 8 =
Option + 0 =  as in 90  or   Option + k = ? as in 90?
Option + = =  !=
Option + w = <sum>
Option + o =
Option + s =
Option + f =
Option + v = ?
Option + x = ?
Option + z = ?
Option + shift + = =

On Mar 03, 2004, Dan wrote:

Most of the full fonts have the division symbol available as part of their
character set. To see the full character set in MS Word, go to the Insert menu
on the toolbar at the top of the screen. From the pull down menu under Insert,
select "symbol".

You'll be shown a grid containing all the characters in a font - the list of
fonts available on your computer is available above the grid of symbols. You can
select any character and insert it into your current document.

The division symbol is available in most of the standard fonts - Times New
Roman, Arial, Garamond, etc.

I don't know of an easy way to insert more complex fractions into MS Word
documents without using an add-on application like Math Type (which works very
well for just about any mathematical typing task).

Dan Hanson
Bishop Lynch High School
Dallas, TX
dan.hanson@bishoplynch.org