Subject:   RE: Frustrations
Author: Chuck
Date: Apr 6 2004
Hi, Jon

Thanks for the opportunity to share my experience with IES applets.  My calculus
students profit greatly from these.  I teach AP Calculus AB and BC.  For
example, a week ago I introduced the topic of volume of a solid of known
cross-section with three examples: two from IES

http://www.ies.co.jp/math/products/calc/applets/renshi/renshi.html

and

http://www.ies.co.jp/math/products/calc/applets/rhansan/rhansan.html

and a third applet I wrote in JavaSketchpad

http://www.mph.net/coelsner/calcapps/cone_ex.htm

My students tell me these visualizations help them to see how integrating the
cross-section will give the volume of the solid.  I display the applets in
class via a digital projector during my "lecture" and also put a link to the
sites on the internet site where I post class notes so students can reexamine
the applet while reviewing at home the class presentation.

Often I make these on-line applets the basis of a homework assignment.

I have probably used more than half the IES applets with Calc I and Calc II
classes.

Looking forward to continuing this dialogue.
Charles E. Oelsner
Syracuse, NY

On Apr 06, 2004, jon wrote:

So, I'm looking through the applets on the MathTools site and I kinda get
frustrated after a while.  I'm looking through mostly upper level math classes
(Grades 9-12) and I'm astonished at how the abundance of tools coming from
this ies.co.jp site, I'm assuming it's Japanese.  For the most part they have
some pretty good applets, but I also wonder how well tools like theirs would be
received in the U.S. school systems.  Their tools seem to be heavily mathematics
and proof based.  I can't forsee something like this holding students' attention
for very long.  However, by the structure and depth of these tools, it's no
wonder why Japanese students are scoring so much higher than us on stuff like
the TIMSS.

yes  no

Discussion Help