Subject:   RE: Thoughts on use of tools
Author: Bethany Hudnutt
Date: May 10 2004
Interesting discussion, hope you don't mind if I chime in...

I think that both the understanding of concepts and the knowledge of basic facts
are important - one without the other is meaningless.  If I don't have my
multiplication tables memorized then what good does it do me to understand the
concept of multiplication?  If I don't memorize vocabulary words how can I
communicate effectively?

I have always said I went into mathematics becasue there is very little I have
to memorize (most of it can be derived including multiplication) but if I always
need to go back and construct my multiplication that becomes a HUGE hinderance
when computing / estimating more complex problems.

So I think either use for technology based tools is appropriate.  However, I
think in the past when technology enhanced learning first began, many people,
including the software creators missed seeing the wonderous world of using
computers for modeling/visualizatn/exploration and got stuck on drill.  So now
its our job to help educators understand the wealth of other types of
opportunities out there for technology based tools.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the tool: Flash Card applet discussion
Visit related discussions:
Flash Card applet tool
Math 7
Operations with numbers