Subject:   RE: Another nice slicing applet
Author: Susan
Date: Jul 30 2004
GRRR....forgot to give the URL on the last post.  Here it is:

On Jul 30 2004, Craig wrote:
> On Jul 30 2004, Susan wrote:
> For slicing with drama, try this
> applet that allows the students to
> use a sword to slice a cube.
> Another nice feature is that there are
> 9 slicing experiments that
> they can try on the cube, and then get
> feedback.  This is
> extended to other solids, but the other solids
> are not
> interactive.

I was excited to see this discussion--I have used
> this slicing question as a "challenge" problem for visualization.  I
> have two comments about your message, though...
1.  I didn't see a
> sword in the tool (tool/501 was the url referred to in your post).
> Was there another tool similar to the first?  Also, all the figures
> in "tool/501" WERE interactive.
2.  I think a sub-topic such as
> "Visualization in 3-d" or just "Visualization" might be appropriate
> for the Geometry area.  This applet doesn't fit very well into any
> of the other topics, and I have seen several other tools that might
> be appropriately placed in a "visualization" category.  The very
> first "expectation" for Grades 9-12 students in NCTM's Principles
> and Standards under Geometry is "analyze properties and determine
> attributes of two- and three-dimensional objects." (p. 308)

yes  no
Post a new topic to the tool: Platonic Solids - Slicing discussion
Visit related discussions:
Platonic Solids - Slicing tool

Discussion Help