Subject:   RE: geom construction software with compass -> arcs, not circles
Author: jdad
Date: Sep 23 2011
On Sep 23 2011, PeterA wrote:
> You can create an arc like you want in Sketchpad. I'm assuming that
> it would solve your problem if you could draw an arc with center P,
> passing through Q, and extending t = 10 degrees to either side of Q.
> To do this, use the Transform menu.
(1) Select P and do Transform >
> Mark Center
(2) Select Q and do Transform > Rotate 10 degrees about
> center P (creating R)
(3) Select Q and do Transform > Rotate -10
> degrees about center P (creating S)
(4) Select R, Q, and S and then
> Construct > Arc Through 3 Points

You can make a tool that will do
> this. Of course, you can replace 10 degrees by whatever you want,
> possibly even introducing a user-settable parameter. Please let us
> know if this works for you.

Thanks for the tip on transforms.  This worked to create an arc tool, but I'm
not sure how to fix the distance so I can use it in finding a midpoint, for
instance.

I followed steps 1-4, selected the objects, and clicked "create new tool."
Now if I use that tool, I can't specify the radius.  The only givens, per script
view, are point A and point B.  If I'm finding a midpoint of AC, after I create
an arc centered at A and through B (where B lies on AC), I need to create
another arc centered at C with radius AB that goes through another point D on
AC.

Is there a way to programatically create scripts in GSP?  (I.e. not using the
GUI).  I'm looking at Geogebra more and the ability to program looks like it
might be useful.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Geometry on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:
Geometry
Computer
Tools