Subject:   RE: geom construction software with compass -> arcs, not circles
Author: venkat52
Date: Sep 23 2011
Hi to all,
very great email exchanges, enriching.
But do remember, perpendicular bisector is a line not a segment, you have to
extend both ends. this concept shd go to our students mins.
thanks for sharing all your skills.
venkat

On Sep 23 2011, jdad wrote:
> I figured out how to do this!

- Create points A, B (used for
> radius)
- Create point C (this is where your arc will be centered
> - create another point D (this will give the direction of your arc
> from C)
- construct a circle of radius AB centered on C
-
> construct ray CD
- construct perpendicular of CD through D, points
> F and G are intersections with the circle
- construct arc with
> center C between F and G

Create new tool with inputs A, B, C, and
> D and output arc CFG!

To use it you click on your new tool icon
> and then poits A and B to give radius.  Then click C to specify the
> arc center and D to give it a direction.  You can slide D to make
> the arc bigger or smaller (from nothing to a semi-circle).  Then
> hide D (if you like) and you're done!

It works with GSP also.  I
> had to create a segment AB to feed distance to the "construct circle
> by center and radius."  I also finally figured out the selecting
> only the necessary inputs and outputs before "create new tool" gets
> rid of all the intermediate cruft.  I don't remember seeing this in
> the documentation I could find.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Geometry on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:
Geometry
Computer
Tools