Subject:   RE: Developing Fraction Concepts
Author: nolandog
Date: Nov 5 2004
I have found that if you have the students find fractional parts of many
different real life objects they will be able to think beyond numbers. One
activity they enjoy is to take a favorite saying or short riddle and use it the
answer to breaking a code. An example would explain it clearer. The first 1/4 of
doughnut + the middle 1/5 of dodge = dog. They will need to see an example of
this and their first attempts will be in the form of the first 1/x of each word
but experience will help. When each student has a really good puzzle we send
them to another class for them to solve.

Also, the book "It's Not Immoral to Count on Your Fingers" is a great resource.
I have used it for several years. My students are high school SCI and lower
resource and they resist using the manipulative circles. I have found over the
years that you must make them. I try to explain to them that everyone uses a
manipulative of some sort but they still think it is being a baby. Often I will
use two sets of the circles to model a fraction. The 3 of 3/4 would be modeled
with 3 of the quarter circles and the 4 with 4 of the quarter circles.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Math 7 discussion
Visit related discussions:
Math 7

Discussion Help