Subject:   RE: More on What is a Trapezoid
Author: Annie
Date: Dec 13 2004
On Dec 10 2004, lanius wrote:
> I suppose it is legal to respond to your own post. :-)

I'd like
> to hear more about the original discussion that I was trying to
> generate here.

Consider these two definitions:
Def 1 A
> quadrilateral with at least one pair of parallel sides.
Def 2 A
> quadrilateral with EXACTLY one pair of parallel sides.

I think
> most US high school text books define a trapezoid with definition 2.
> Does anyone know of a US high school textbook that doesn' t define
> trapezoids in that way (or equivalant to that)? Does anyone know the
> history of when or why that definition came to be used in schools,
> at least in the US? Is definition 1 used in other countries in
> current K-12 textbooks?

As far as I know, the UCSMP books use the more inclusive definition.  I don't
know of other high school textbooks that use it (I was holding out for Jacobs,
but he didn't come through for me).  The topic of the defintion has been
discussed a bit on the Forum's geometry.pre-college newgroup, and is
summarized in this Dr. Math read:

        -Annie

yes  no
Post a new topic to the tool: Dynamic Geometry Exploration: Properties of the Midsegment of a Trapezoid discussion
Visit related discussions:
Dynamic Geometry Exploration: Properties of the Midsegment of a Trapezoid tool

Discussion Help