Subject:   RE: What is a triangle?
Author: Mathman
Date: Jan 4 2005
On Jan  4 2005, proofpad wrote:
> On Jan  2 2005, rabeldin wrote:

In any case, I am more concerned
> with the general class
> of error involved in using informal
> definitions. This is but a
> single example of such an error.
> Unless you mean the way we use the English language in our
> translations of mathematics (where, for instance, corresponding
> angles means one thing when you have a transversal and something
> similar yet different when discussing congruent polygons)
     -Gabriel Edge

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say.  Just a small point on the side:  The
angles formed by the transversal are corresponding in the same sense.  Draw
another transveral to meet the first above the two parallels, and you have
similar triangles with corresponding angles as they should be.  The word just
means "in the same relative position".

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Geometry for Triangles discussion
Visit related discussions:
Geometry
Triangles

Discussion Help