Subject:   RE: Formulas
Author: gooofy707
Date: Mar 7 2005
I would agree that students are afraid of letters.  Not neccesarily because they
are letters, although substituting shapes is a great idea. I think it is that
they do not understand the concepts.  A simple problem to us, such as x+3=5,
stumps students.  Why?  One of the issues may definatley be that anything other
than a number does not make sense.  Formulas are abstract if the students do not
understand what the variables mean, what they represent, and how they are
useful.

-Elsa

On Feb 24 2005, tovali wrote:
> You are in no way alone. Students are afraid of letters! Sometimes I
> will substitute shapes (circles, triangles, squares) for the
> variables so that they focus on the patterns seen using the laws of
> algebra to solve an equation for a variable.

On Feb 24 2005,
> Mrs J wrote:
> I have noticed over the last few years that students
> are having more
> difficulty with the concept of formulas. It could
> be something as
> simple as I=prt area, perimeter, volume,
> temperature converion, or
> any instance where the process is to
> enter numbers and compute the
> answer from that info. Am I alone
> or have others seen this problem?

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Math 6 discussion
Visit related discussions:
Math 6

Discussion Help