Subject:   RE: How technology can enhance math learning
Author: ihor
Date: May 2 2005
Cynthia,

>Yesterday I saw an antecdote about high school
> students who when asked to write the decimal equivalant of something
> like 5 + 3/100 + 7/10000 grabbed their calculators and started
> punching in numbers.

I too read the article and thought about the problems related to this. I watch
similar things happen all the time in the urban schools I work in. I think many
of the teachers send a mixed message when they tell the kids they can use
calculators. On the one hand they do say to use the calculators judiciously, but
many of the kids don't really understand what that means and will use them every
chance they get. (They are fun to use.) This is a tough area. It requires
careful attention to how you one teaches and a knowledge of when it is
appropriate to use the calculators.

-Ihor

yes  no

Discussion Help