Subject:   RE: How technology can enhance math learning
Author: ihor
Date: May 2 2005
Anna,

> We often discuss - would this be a problem a
> calculator would be helpful on?  Is there a way we do this quickly
> and easily without a calculator?

It sounds like you are helping your students learn when it is appropriate to use
calculators. Despite popular opinion I don't think there are any hard and fast
rules about when one should or should not use calculators, it all depends on the
situation and the level of the students especially in heterogenous settings. But
what is clearly important is developing in the student an ability to reflect on
the decisions he or she makes in reference to calculators. For example, having
the student really see that it's silly to use a calculator to find the decimal
equivalent of 5/1000 can be a major breakthrough.
-Ihor

yes  no

Discussion Help