Subject:   RE: whiteboard compass
Author: Mathman
Date: May 6 2005
On May  6 2005, David Chandler wrote:
> I keep a nice piece of string with a little loop tied in one end and
> several knots tied along the length.  I take it out, say, "Here's my
> compass," and draw a circle.  It works great and it conveys the
> essence of a compass to students.

A small point please:  The instrument is a "compasses", not the round thing with
a magnet.  This is like the other one, "a scissors."

Teaching math, particularly geometry which I like particularly, it became quite
natural to draw a circle freehand with little noticeable variation.  That was on
the blackboard though.  Do students do basic constructions now?  That is a first
effort at application, and embeds some important ideas such as congruence.

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Geometry discussion
Visit related discussions:
Geometry

Discussion Help