Subject:   RE: whiteboard compass
Author: Suzanne
Date: May 7 2005
On May  6 2005, Mathman wrote:
>A small point please:  The instrument is a
> "compasses", not the round thing with a magnet.  This is like the
> other one, "a scissors."

This spelling surprised me and so I just looked it up on
   http://dictionary.com
and found that using the spelling "compass" is considered correct. The
definition included this description: "A V-shaped device for describing
circles or circular arcs and for taking measurements, consisting of a pair of
rigid, end-hinged legs, one of which is equipped with a pen, pencil, or other
marker and the other with a sharp point providing a pivot about which the
drawing leg is turned."

The definition ended with the reference you mentioned, "Also called a pair of
compasses."

Suzanne

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Geometry discussion
Visit related discussions:
Geometry

Discussion Help