Subject:   RE: Jeff's Monday ToolFest Question
Author: WandaB
Date: Jun 13 2005
Good morning Jeff. The main way I use virtual manipulatives in the classroom is
on the SmartBoard. Either I demonstrate the tool using whole group discussion or
have students take turn manipulating the tool. Something else that has been very
effective is having students use concrete manipulatives and then model the same
with the virtual tools.

For example:

Solving equations - http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool/458

Students solve equations at their desks using Hands-On Equations and write the
new equation for each step after they've shown how they've balanced the equation
on each step using inverse operations.

Discovering integer rules:

http://mathforum.org/mathtools/activity/451
http://mathforum.org/mathtools/activity/454

Instead of giving the students colored 'chips', I use golfish crackers for the
positive integers and oyster crackers for negative integers (because goldfish
each them and they disappear.)

One of the tools that you suggested for using to understand fractions and
ratios, I like to use for finding the pattern and writing the function rule. I
have them see how many hits there are for a 2x1 rectangle, 2x2, 2x3, etc. We
then focus on 2 x odd numbers and use this information to discuss slope as a
constant rate of change and to write the function rule.

http://mathforum.org/mathtools/activity/13009

Any suggestions for helping students understand the relationship between
fractions, decimals, and percents?

yes  no

Discussion Help