Subject:   RE: Pool Table
Author: Mathman
Date: Jun 16 2005
On Jun 16 2005, lanius wrote:
> I know that folks have their hands full with the flurry of Math
> Tools email, but I just had to share this. I just explored the Pool
> Table tool

>If you haven't looked at
> this before, take a look and let me know what you think. Don't
> forget to rate.

As usual, I think that a tool is useful in as much as it is used wisely.  In
this particular case, it is an excellent precursor to studies in geometry and
physics, reflection of light.  It reminds me of a more developed [Waterloo Math
Competition] problem of finding out how many banks are necessary to go from one
pocket to another in a fixed size table for any given start angle.  The solution
I came up with was to stack several tables together and draw a straight line
until it reaches a pocket, then count the number of line segments in the
rectangles it passes through.  It could also be a precursor to other problems
such as shortest path to cross a stream from one point to another on either
side, going directly across the stream when it is reached.

Interesting.  Again, it depends upon use and classroom dialogue.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help