Subject:   Algebra for everyone
Author: Harvey
Date: May 28 2006
I teach in a small private school. My principal thinks that everyone, if brought
up to speed and is motivated should be able to do Algebra I. The reason is given
that other subject don't tract students in a two tier system.

I have students at the top and at the bottom academically. We divide the class
in two group by testing. One third go to Pre-algebra and the rest go to
Algebra I.

Now I've learned that schools in California are going to teach Algebra I as
their easiest course for credit, no Pre-algebra, General Math, or remedial
math. We try to give everyone a chance to succeed in math by taking them as far
as we can with the knowledge they have. Second year we offer a remedial Algebra
I and third year a remedial Geometry.

I can't understand how all students can learn the abstract concepts and how I
can at the same time, keep the top academic students challenged.

Let me know what your doing at your school and where my reasoning is faulty.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help