Subject:   RE: Continuous /Discreet Graphing
Author: MindyN
Date: Jun 26 2006
On Jun 26 2006, Craig wrote:
> One interesting thing you can do with this tool (since you mention
> discrete graphing) is have students demonstrate limitations of
> discrete graphs.  For example, if one runner's step size is 5 and
> the other runner's is 2, then it might be possible for one to pass
> the other without being at the same place at the same time.  You can
> ask students to explain what happens, and why it worked that way.
> This might be a bit advanced for 7th graders, but it might be
> interesting for them to think about!

Start Runner 1:  10
Step
> Runner 1:    5
Start Runner 2:  20
Step Runner 2:    2

Runner 1
> catches up with runner 2 at "step 3.33," but in the applet all that
> is observed is that at step 3, runner 2 is behind, but at step 4,
> she is ahead.  Advanced students might try to come up with their own
> scenarios for this.

I had students in my Algebra 1 class make
> flip books that work just like the applet--they positioned two
> objects (for some reason, tortoise and hare were popular) on each
> page, and advanced one "step" per page.  Fun for the students, fun
> to grade!
Hi, Craig. I'm a little confused. (Not an unusual state for me!) How can one
runner pass the other without being in the same place at the same time?

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help