Subject:   RE: Common Core Curriculum
Author: Howard58
Date: Nov 12 2014
On Nov 10 2014, Mass Vision wrote:
> Successful implementation of the Common Core State Standards
> requires parents, educators, policymakers, and other stakeholders to
> have the facts about what the standards are and what they are not.
> What are your views on Common Core?

I have studied the math common core extensively. It is very good for the more
able students, but wholly inappropriate for the rest. A simple example: What is
the point of trying to teach algebra to a student who hasn't got a grasp of
basic arithmetic, and I mean cannot divide 18 by 2.
To force these students (and they are the majority) to take tests which they
know they will fail, and to label them, at all levels, as not suitable for
college and/or career is so gross and stupid as to be unbelievable, and
It's highly likely that the common core content will be scrapped when, as is
inevitable, the testing system fails.
Everyone should watch this video:
Toxic culture of education: Joshua Katz at TEDxUniversityofAkron

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion in Kindergarten discussion
Visit related discussions:
Lesson Plans

Discussion Help