Subject:   RE: Using the Math Tool for various ability levels within one class
Author: Mathman
Date: Oct 2 2006
On Oct  2 2006, jdf35 wrote:
> agree with Quincy in that applications should be used to actually
> supplement a student's education and not to just "baby-sit" the
> students.  I have noticed (in my own past and my brothers' as well)
> that sometime teachers will use a computer application in order to
> keep some students busy while others partake in another event which
> may require more of the teacher's attention.  In doing this, the
> teacher gets his/her attention from the students and keeps the other
> students occupied.

Unfortunately, that happens. The teacher does his/her best under the
circumstances.  It is the circumstances that must change.  My daughter was in a
graduating calculus class.  The same teacher had been given also a grade 11
"Basic" math class and a grade 9 "Basic" math class int he same room at the same
time.  All the tools in the world won't replace the lack of possibility of
giving each and every student equal attention to their differing needs.  My
daughter did OK, but at university was a roomie with a girl who had attended an
expensive private school with small classes.  There was no comparison of the
amount and depth of work that could be covered in each case.  All the students
lost in the first instance.  You can please some of the people some of the
time....

David.

yes  no
Visit related discussions: