Subject:   RE: Using the Math Tool for various ability levels within one class
Author: Kraz
Date: Oct 2 2006
Unfortunately, that happens. The teacher
> does his/her best under the circumstances.  It is the circumstances
> that must change.  My daughter was in a graduating calculus class.
> The same teacher had been given also a grade 11 "Basic" math class
> and a grade 9 "Basic" math class int he same room at the same time.
> All the tools in the world won't replace the lack of possibility of
> giving each and every student equal attention to their differing
> needs.  My daughter did OK, but at university was a roomie with a
> girl who had attended an expensive private school with small
> classes.  There was no comparison of the amount and depth of work
> that could be covered in each case.  All the students lost in the
> first instance.  You can please some of the people some of the
> time....

David.

  Going back to Quincy's mention of the fact that not all children have the
privilege of having a vast amount of technology for learning purposes; the same
holds true in that most children don't have the opportunity to participate in a
12 student classroom environment. Student's greatly benefit from a lower student
to teacher ratio though this is near impossible to get in the public school
system. As an example, I come from an upper middle class family and still
attended a public high school. I took AP and honors level courses and was still
thrown into 25-30 student per teacher classrooms. Since I don't believe
happenings like this will change in the public school environment, we need to
find a way to utilize technology to help distribute professorial attention in a
large classroom.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:

Discussion Help