Subject:   RE: Using the Math Tool for various ability levels within one class
Author: Mathman
Date: Oct 2 2006
On Oct  2 2006, Craig wrote:

1:
> I have direct experience with students of different ability levels
> in the same classroom, using different materials related to each
> student's strengths and weaknesses.

2:
>There is
> a great body of research and writing on this technique, which is
> called DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION.

> I encourage you to look up
> differentiated instruction

1.  As have I, and most teachers I know.  Sometimes that is not by conscious
design, as the variety of abilities in a single class with a single course can
vary to the extreme.

2.  With due respect, you should not make the presumption that I am ignorant of
such.  I simply point out the disadvantage of having to do so in one room at one
time.  I question that since that which can be done for two, or three, should
not then be as easy for four or five sections in one room, if it is presumed
that there is then no difference?

Now, to the question of how to make it "work", none the less, I must say that to
do so would be an exception, not a rule.  For just two different groups in one
room, if there is no other option, the presence of the computer is still not the
deciding factor in the success or failure of that mission.  Also, a single
course is not merely the text-book content, but the discussion that ensues in,
under, over, and around about each topic under discussion.  That is not entirely
possible in a mixed class, so there may be the cake, but little or none of the
icing.

David.

yes  no
Visit related discussions: