Subject:   RE: home work
Author: Mathman
Date: Oct 4 2006
On Oct  4 2006, markovchaney wrote:
> I don't find your reply very satisfactory.

> what is it about how we present math to
> students that makes it so unappealing, for the most part, that they
> see homework as drudgery and punishment, and celebrate when the
> teacher doesn't assign any?

I am not here to argue, and so will address a couple of points above and be done
with it.

I apologise for that.  I was, again, simply making the point that homework is
not something that needs to be assigned.  It is simply practice.  However, we
are dealing with children, and if children know better what is good for their
future than trained, knowledgeable adults, all we ever have to look forward to
after the age of 5 is deterioration.

We do not make it unappealing.  Yo usimply can not please all all of the time.
It is simply what it is.  You can like it or hate it as is your passion, and so
it will appeal to you or not.  My own memory includes the pleasure of finding
not just a solution to a problem, but searching for the best solution I could
find, and that took much more time than was available in a classroom.

One question for you, and I'm done.  Do you see and read everything only once
and know it instantly and be able to put it instantly into perspective with
other things learned, or are there some things you need to do more than once in
order to become skilled; and how many times is it before that necessary
"practice" becomes "drudgery"?

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the General Discussion on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:
Computer
Tools

Discussion Help